Pre-calculus is humming along, wherever we find ourselves in Ecuador. It is the only class we have five days a week (or almost five days a week; the most predictable part of TTS is its unpredictability), so that we can cover all the material. I have to confess: I love having it every day! It is much more relaxing to be able to devote the necessary time to each chapter, and seeing our same small group hard at work each day makes me smile. The girls, I think, enjoy it too. We have a very comfortable flow in class: I work with Kay, while Sarah, Stacy, and Livy work through a section, and then I check in to make sure everyone is on the right track. The next day might see Kay working independently while I work with the other three. The extra days of class ensure we can figure things out slowly and carefully if we get bogged down in a tricky problem or section, and have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves in the process. Kay has mastered systems of inequalities and is forging into a chapter on matrices, and Stacy, Livy, and Sarah are just finishing up the second of three sections on trigonometry. While all of them are nervous for the inevitable chapter tests, all the practice problems and individual attention ensure that they will be successful. I'll let you know how things continue to go in the coming weeks, as we progress towards midterms.
Inequally yours,
Allegra
No comments:
Post a Comment