Stepping off Humberto's bus to our 14th century hacienda only twelve days ago brought back a rush of memories from when I was a TTS student here in Ecuador. And now, I'm so proud to be a teacher! The familiar smell of flowers and dirt was surreal. I felt like I had never even left. This past week and a half has been incredible at the hacienda. It is great to be with The Traveling School again in a completely different light - as a teacher. I am intrigued and enjoying the many layers of what goes on behind the scenes. I am loving teaching and watching these 16 incredible girls settle in to life at TTS. Last night at dinner we reflected on what we have loved about the Hacienda and many of the girls expressed how it now "feels like home." Our time here has allowed us to get oriented and feel our feet on the ground. Although the girls feel bittersweet about leaving, they are ready to experience more of Ecuador.
Throughout these weeks of orientation we have begun to form a new TTS family. In living together we get to know one another on a deeper level, and as the semester goes on this intimacy only continues. The connections we make with each other and the people we surround ourselves with during our travels is what makes The Traveling School so special. Personally, I don't think there could be a better environment for learning.
I look forward to the experiences that have yet to come and watching the 16 students grow more and more into themselves. I know this semester will bring on growth and change for each person. I am happy to be experiencing this growth and change again and witnessing your daughters as we navigate throughout South America.
In a couple of hours we will be journeying to a bigger, beautiful market town nearby. I can feel the buzz of excitement in the air as the girls pack their backpacks for the first change in location of the many more to come throughout our next three months in South America.
With love and gratitude,
Phoebe
No comments:
Post a Comment