Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Condor Taking Flight

We trudged into base camp, taking deep breaths to help us acclimatize to our new home, situated at 16,400 feet, under a beautiful snow-capped ridge in the uncanny shape of a condor spreading its wings for take-off. The girls immediately busied themselves setting up camp, expertly pitching their tents and making neat piles of group gear food. As I watched them, I could not help think how far we have come as a group from the first camping trip we embarked on almost 3 months ago in Ecuador, which was many of the girls' first time pitching a tent or sleeping outside. The 4 days we spent camped under the glacier was unforgettable. It was beautiful, humbling, and brought our climate change studies to a head. It took us 45 minutes of hiking over scree fields and squishy tundra from the base of the glacier to a lonely white post- marking the spot where the glacier's edge reached 9 years ago. Our guides informed us it is now melting at the rate of 6-9 meters per year. Whether an individual girls summitted the 17,500 foot glacier or not, all were challenged and in awe of nature's beauty. From the top, one could see the clouds blanketing the Amazon rainforest and the tallest mountains in Bolivia. Here are a few quotes from the girls on their individual journeys:

From Stacy:
"The climb started at 3 am and forced me to physically challenge myself like never before. Perseverance, discipline, and determination served as my teachers..."

From Helen:
"Climbing the glacier was the hardest thing I've ever done. It was also the most rewarding, beautiful experience of my life. Seeing the clouds far below me and the tallest mountains in the Andes above me was the most amazing sight."

From Lucy:
"Climbing the glacier was the hardest thing I've ever done. Reaching the summit evoked so many emotions within me: accomplishment, happiness, astonishment. I doubt I will ever forget the sight of the massive, snow-capped Andes encircling us as we stood atop the 17,500 foot summit."

From Kay:
"Stepping across the glacier was one of those experiences that makes you realize just how small you are in relation to the world..."

From Bobbi:
"Climbing the glacier is a day I will never forget. I have yet to challenge myself to such an extent. It was stunning, rewarding, physically demanding, and an overall beautiful experience. Our TTS days are coming to an end, and this 17,500 foot summit could not have been a better Zenith to our unforgettable semester."

From Bri:
"Sitting at base camp, I looked around at the beautiful snowy mountains and tried to contemplate what it looked like here 10 years ago..."

From Tate:
"It's humbling to be surrounded by some of Bolivia's highest peaks. There's few places where you can be absolutely at peace in one of the most spectacular places on earth. This was one of those places, and I'll never forget it."

From Payton:
"Reaching the summit after hours of trekking, putting one cramponed foot in front of the other, my eyes filled with tears. I've never worked harder in my life and I felt so accomplished and amazed when I had a 360 degree Andean Mountain view. I truly felt the power of nature when everywhere I looked, snow-capped peaks lingered in the midst of the clouds.."

From Liv:
"As I stood beneath the dazzling array of cloudless stars I felt that there was no place I would rather be. The Milky Way stretched across the entire expanse of the sky and I listened quietly as Juan Pavlo, one of our guides, pointed out the Southern Cross, Scorpio, Orion's Belt, and countless other constellations, telling the story behind each one. Shooting stars flashed across the sky and filled me with a quick jolt of ecstasy each time. It was one of the most awe-inspiring nights of the trip."

From Ina:
"Breathing deeply, I finally reached the summit. After over three months of traveling together, my friends greeted with hugs at the top. Smiling, I felt accomplished and proud of our group for succeeding in our final physical challenge."

From Sarah:
"Sitting under the glacial peaks in the warm sunshine of Bolivia's Andes was one of the most humbling and relaxing experiences..."

From Erica:
"I looked back and saw the glowing line of my companion's headlamps winding their way up the glacier and felt a mix of awe, sadness, and pride for my friends making this journey."

From Mary Katherine:
"One breath at a time- I did what I thought I could not. Now I am a slightly bigger person and the world is a slightly more beautiful place."

While everyone's final experience in the mountains was unique to them, we have all come together to share what made it special for us. The girls are busy today, their final day of the trip, shopping, packing, and writing one another positive affirmations. They shared so many beautiful words last night when we did our "web of appreciation" bracelet giving ceremony and talked through all our fears about returning home. Today and tonight we have a special graduation celebration and ceremony planned that will end with a nice dinner and awards for all. The fun begins in one hour when we will head to our mountaineering guide's house for food, soccer, and gifts. The girls are excited to be coming home, miss you all terribly, and are also nervous about making this big transition. Be gentle with your daughters and give them time and space to open up. Listen to their stories with compassion and interest. We are so very proud of these girls and know you will be too when you see the new light radiating from the center of each one of them. We love you and we will see you at the airport very soon.

-TTS 19

No comments:

Post a Comment